Iodophor – IO Star Sanitizer by Five Star Chemicals
Iodophor IO Star is an iodine based sanitizer formulated for use by the bottling, food processing, and milk industry. However, it has been adopted for use by home brewers and commercial brewers alike. When used continuously as a sanitizing spray on walls and equipment it will reduce or eliminate odors throughout the processing area.
Iodophor IO Star equipment Cleaning
Circulate with cold or lukewarm water with a solution of 1 ounce Iodophor IO Star to 5 gallons water. Rinse with potable water if necessary. To sanitize, spray or immerse equipment with a fresh solution of 1 ounce Iodophor IO Star to 5 gallons cold or lukewarm water. Allow a one minute contact time with Iodophor. When ready to use, drain sanitizing solution and allow to air dry.
If used at 25 ppm or less this Iodophor IO Star solution does not require a clean water rinse.
We use IO Star Iodophor sanitizer exclusively with our glass carboys.
The iodine based iodophor may slightly stain your plastics but this staining will not affect the flavor of your products.
Five Star IO Star Iodophor MSDS: Material safety Data Sheet
More info about Iodophor here.
5 Star Chemical Rules for cleaning and sanitization with your Iodophor IO Star
1. You can only sanitize clean equipment.
2. Dirty equipment will always contain bacteria.
3. Cleaners ARE NOT sanitizers. Whether alkali or acid, cleaners should not be used as the final procedure.
4. Sanitizers ARE NOT cleaners. Sanitizing is the final procedure after cleaning or on clean equipment just prior to brewing.
5. Cleaning and sanitizing can be improved by time and temperature. Allowing longer contact time and/or increasing the temperature of solutions will improve the results.
6. Do not overuse chemicals. “More is not better”. It normally requires more water and/or higher temperatures to rinse, and may leave an unwanted residue or just cake on to the equipment.
7. Follow the directions of any chemical you use.
8. Cleaners and sanitizers must come in contact with 100% of the soils. This means that all blind areas, such as man-way lips or racking arms, must be hand cleaned and sanitized. Use of spray balls can be very effective. 9. Never add water to chemicals. Always blend IO Star Iodophor into water.